Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Cat People ²

As I noted in my previous entry about the movie Cat People, I was a little obsessed with it, and on Sunday, May 22nd, 1982, I went to see it again, this time at the York Theater. I'm not sure if I went alone, but I do know I didn't see whatever movie it was paired with.

One of the things I love about the movie is its New Orleans setting. Even if it isn't very realistic, it utilizes the city's foreign feel perfectly. New Orleans isn't like any other city in America, so it lends itself well to a spooky tale about an otherworldy family's curse, and sexual animals.

I love this bit featuring Kinski walking around a completely empty Jackson Square in the French Quarter, (and anyone who's ever been to New Orleans knows that square is never that empty), visiting a groovy looking church, before finally making it to the zoo, (which, at one time, was indeed a dump, but is now a first class zoo).



In looking around the Interwebs for stuff about the movie, it was nice to find a few posts from people who seem to like it as much as I do.

This is a nice review from Kindertrauma.

Only In Cinema's post is a bit more critical of the movie, but still comes out liking it, despite its flaws.

Finally, any fan of Nastassja Kinski should take a look at Nostalgia Kinky, the best fan site out there.
It's an exhaustive look at all of her movies, and it includes over 20 posts about Cat People alone....

No comments:

Post a Comment