Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Deathtrap



Deathtrap is a movie I have no real fondness for, though it's not a bad movie at all. It's just not really my cup of tea, and I remember being a tad bored by it, even though it does--for a movie filmed on one set, with only four characters--have a lot of twists and turns.

It looks like we saw it at the Balboa Theater, a theater that is actually still around, bless its multi-screened heart. It must have been a second-run showing, or at least a matinee, as it only cost $2.50 to see. (TWO-FIFTY!)

I'll be honest. When it comes to Deathtrap, the first thing that comes to mind is what was, at the time, a controversial moment, which is a huge reveal in the movie, and is therefore a gigantic, whopping spoiler. So, if you haven't seen the movie, and want to see it unspoiled, you should probably stop reading now.

OK?

Stopped?

All right.

It's this moment between Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve, and while it wouldn't raise an eyebrow now, it raised quite a few back in the day.



I rewatched the whole film, and my opinion on it hasn't really changed. It's fine, but nothing extraordinary. Like most films based on plays, it's a tad claustrophobic. Michael Caine isn't one of my favorite actors, so I found his character a bit grating. (Also, his hair is at its Michael Caine-iest.)

I actually found Dyan Cannon the most entertaining thing in the movie, even though, apparently, she was nominated for a Golden Raspberry Award for worst supporting actress for the role. I guess some people just don't find her constant screaming as funny as I do, and that was always kind of her thing...



No comments:

Post a Comment